Agenda and minutes

Policy Overview Committee
Tuesday 13 June 2017 7.00 pm

Venue: B12

Contact: Email: memberservices@dartford.gov.uk 

Items
Note No. Item

1.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors S H Brown, R M Currans, B K Kaini and M B Kelly.

 

The Chairman noted the recent sad death of ex-Councillor and former Mayor Dave Baker and asked that Members’ sympathies be passed to his family.

2.

Declarations of Interest

To receive declarations of interest from Members including the terms(s) of the Grant of Dispensation (if any) by the Audit Board or Managing Director.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

3.

Confirmation of the minutes of the Policy Overview meeting held on 21 March 2017 pdf icon PDF 129 KB

Minutes:

            RESOLVED:

 

That the minutes of the meeting of the Policy Overview Committee held on 21 March 2017 be confirmed.

4.

Urgent Items

The Chairman will announce his decision as to whether there are any urgent items and their position on the agenda.

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

SD (IS)

5.

Policy Overview Committee Terms of Reference and Protocol pdf icon PDF 44 KB

This report presents to Members the current Policy Overview Committee Terms of Reference and Protocol.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

This report advised Members of the Terms of Reference for the Policy Overview Committee, which were agreed at the Annual Meeting of the Council on 10 May 2017. The report also presented the Policy Overview Committee’s Protocol, which describes the procedures that must be followed for the Committee to operate effectively.

 

One Member referred to the Committee’s functions as defined in the Terms of Reference and said that he felt that the Committee should be carrying out more policy related work, and should be providing input as policies are being developed. The Chairman replied that he had been having similar thoughts and would be looking to review areas of Council Policy in the future.

 

     RESOLVED:

 

1.         That the Terms of Reference for the Policy Overview Committee, attached at Appendix A to the report, be noted.

 

2.         That the Protocol for the Policy Overview Committee, attached at Appendix B to the report, be noted.

6.

To consider references from other Committees (if any)

Minutes:

There were no references from other Committees.

7.

Regulation 9 Notice pdf icon PDF 67 KB

To consider any issues arising from the Regulation 9 Notice for the period 15 May 2017 to 30 September 2017.

Minutes:

The Chairman noted that the new Corporate Plan 2017 – 2020 was not listed on the Regulation 9 Notice and asked when it was due to be considered by Cabinet. The Policy and Corporate Support Manager advised that it would be going to the 29 June 2017 Cabinet meeting.

 

RESOLVED:

 

That the contents of the Regulation 9 Notice, for the period 15 May 2017 to 30 September 2017, be noted.

SD (IS)

8.

Action Points Arising from the Policy Overview Committee Meeting held on 21 March 2017 pdf icon PDF 54 KB

To note the list of action points arising from the Policy Overview Committee meeting held on 21 March 2017.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

This report asked Members to note the list of action points arising from the Policy Overview Committee meeting held on 21 March 2017.

 

Members were advised that a response had yet to be received to the letter that had been sent to the Chief Executive of NHS England and agreed that a chasing letter should be sent. The Chairman also noted that there had been some press interest in the letter that had been sent and said that he had encouraged them to come along to future Policy Overview meetings.

 

RESOLVED:

 

1.         That the list of action points arising from the Committee meetings held on 21 March 2017 be noted.

 

2.         That the Chief Executive of NHS England be chased for a response to the issues raised in the letter that had been sent on 5 May 2017.

SD (IS)

9.

Corporate Plan 2017 - 2020 pdf icon PDF 52 KB

The Committee is asked to comment on the draft Corporate Plan 2017 – 2020.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

This report asked the Committee to comment on the 2017 – 2020 draft Corporate Plan.

 

The Policy and Corporate Support Manager explained how the themes and strategic aims and objectives in the Plan were the same as in the previous version but said that it now also included a set of values which underpinned the defined themes. He also noted how key actions had been defined for each theme to show how each aim and objective would be delivered over the following 3 years and advised that each action had been, or would be, budgeted for and would therefore be delivered. He then noted how the associated performance indicators include Borough specific targets, which give an indication of the health of services being delivered by the Council, together with targets in areas where the Council has no direct control because they rely on the performance of partner agencies.

 

Members noted this to be a new Plan which would take the town forward and, having discussed the process that had been followed during its preparation, it was suggested that Members and residents could have been involved earlier in process and a detailed review by the Scrutiny Committee or a Working Group considered. The Policy and Corporate Support Manager advised that the document was also due to be considered by the Cabinet Advisory Panel and Cabinet in June and the General Assembly of the Council in July. The Chairman noted the review opportunities being given to Members and said that it was not practical to refer the document to a Working Group or Scrutiny given the timescales involved.

 

Reference was made to the development at Ebbsfleet and parking space provision and it was suggested that the associated policy needed to be reviewed given the parking issues that were being experienced in other areas of recent development. The Policy and Corporate Support Manager advised that the parking space provision policy for new developments was set out in the Local Plan and confirmed that this was an area that could be considered by the Committee.

 

The Policy and Corporate Support Manager confirmed that the reference to a majority Conservative Government would be revised following the General Election and noted the typographical error that was identified.

 

Members noted the reference that had been made in the Plan to improvements to the public realm in the Town Centre and referred to particular areas which require attention. The need for all Members to report issues as they are identified was also stressed so that the ambiance of the Town Centre may continue to be improved. Members also noted the plan to ask local communities to take a role in helping to maintain a clean environment.

 

Members considered whether the proposed London Paramount development should be highlighted as a specific major development but decided that it should not be included as its delivery was yet to be confirmed.

 

Reference was made to the introductory section and it was suggested that it should highlight any deficiencies and identify more  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

SD (IS)

10.

Corporate Plan - Performance Indicators pdf icon PDF 45 KB

This report provides the latest set of Corporate Plan performance indicators for quarter 4 of 2015 – 16.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

This report provided the latest set of Corporate Plan performance indicators for quarter 4 of 2016-17.

 

The Chairman, with the Committee’s agreement, asked that future versions of the monitoring report include plans for addressing and improving those indicators showing as an alert (red).

 

RESOLVED:

 

That the contents of the Performance Indicators Monitoring Report, attached at Appendix A to the report, be noted.

SD (IS)

11.

Policy Overview Committee Annual Report 2016 - 2017 pdf icon PDF 41 KB

To consider the work carried out by the Policy Overview Committee during the municipal year 2016 – 2017.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

This report presented the work that had been carried out by the Policy Overview Committee during the municipal year 2016 - 2017.

 

Members thanked the Committee Co-ordinator for compiling the report and agreed for it to be referred to Cabinet.

 

            RESOLVED:

 

That the annual report of the Committee be noted and referred to Cabinet for their consideration.

SD (IS)

12.

Policy Overview Committee Work Plan pdf icon PDF 47 KB

This reports sets out the Policy Overview Committee’s work plan.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

This report set out the Policy Overview Committee’s Work Plan.

 

The Chairman summarised the areas that had been identified as requiring possible review during earlier consideration of the Corporate Plan as:

 

  • Channel shift policy
  • Communication and engagement strategy
  • Fly-tipping reporting
  • Bulk waste collection service
  • Business Advice website
  • Planning related parking standards

 

The Chairman then noted that the agendas for the Committee’s next two meetings were already full and said that these new areas would be factored into the Work Plan for consideration as soon as practical.  Members suggested that parking standards be reviewed sooner rather than later so that any proposed changes may be used by those planning new development at Ebbsfleet.

 

RESOLVED:

 

That the Work Plan, together with the additional areas of future work minuted above, be noted.