Agenda and minutes
Venue: Committee Room B12. View directions
Apologies for Absence
Apologies for absence were submitted on behalf of Councillors; Mrs R Bryant, P F Coleman, P Kelly and A R Martin.
Declarations of Interest
To receive any declarations of interest Members may wish to make including the term(s) of the Grant of Dispensations(s) by the Standards Committee.
There were no declarations of interest.
That the Minutes of the meeting held on 15 July 2010 be confirmed as accurate.
The Chairman will announce his decision as to whether there are any urgent items and their position on the agenda.
The Chairman advised that there were no items of urgency to consider.
The Chairman advised Members that his understanding of the report before them was that no significant changes were proposed to the existing Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Licensing Policy (the Policy), adopted by the Committee on 15 July 2010. However, he sought confirmation of his views from the Licensing Officers present.
The Licensing Officer confirmed that her report proposed no significant changes to the Licensing Policy adopted by the Committee in July 2010 and brought into effect on 1 September 2010, subject to a 12 month review period.
However, she advised that since adoption of the Policy, the Equality Act 2010 (the 2010 Act) had come into force. The 2010 Act created a new public sector equality duty for local authorities to meet with effect from 6 April 2011, with regard to the elimination of discrimination, harassment and victimisation when carrying out its policies and service delivery. Implementation of the 2010 Act and equality duty now required that the Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Licensing Policy adopted by the Committee in July 2010, be amended ahead of the recommended 12 month review date.
She further advised that in addition to incorporating into the Policy the disability awareness training measures for Drivers, Proprietors and Operators adopted by the Committee in 2008; but omitted in error from the text of the Policy when adopted in July 2010; the opportunity was also being taken to correct some typographical errors and clarify anomalies in the text of the current Policy. She added that there were two further amendments to those proposed in the Table at Appendix A to the Agenda report:
· Page 12 List No 52, Appendix K – Penalty Point Scheme
Revised text to read as follows:
“Failure to attend for interview on time, without reasonable cause, for a pre-arranged appointment at the request of the Licensing Authority.”
· Page 9 para 7, revised text should refer to “Appendices K & R”.
The following points were confirmed for Members by the Senior Licensing Officer in subsequent discussion:
· All points that had been brought up by interested parties concerning the Policy were being addressed with the authors and the Trade as a whole. The outcomes of the consultation process would be included in the full review of the Policy due to take place in July 2011;
· The “spare wheel” issue would be addressed under the full review;
· Subsequent reviews of the Policy would be done on a needs basis, as was the current case to incorporate the 2010 Act provisions; and not await the formal 12 month review process and timing;
· Licensing Officers were now confident that the previous IT problems encountered in printing the Policy in 2010 had been overcome.
The Chairman expressed his thanks to the Licensing Officers for their efforts and commended the Council Licensing operation as a whole.
The Committee also noted the particular efforts made by Councillor Angell and Councillor Coleman in helping to formulate the original Disability Policy adopted in 2008, and asked that this fact be recorded, together with the Committee’s ... view the full minutes text for item 29.