Skip to content

H1 - do not remove

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, Civic Centre, Home Gardens, Dartford, Kent, DA1 1DR

Contact: Email: memberservices@dartford.gov.uk 

Items
Note No. Item

1.

Chairman's Introduction

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed Members and Officers to the meeting.

2.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors J Burrell, R M Currans, D Page and A Sandhu, MBE.

3.

Urgent Items

The Chairman will announce his decision as to whether there are any urgent items and their position on the agenda.

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

4.

Items Reserved for Debate

Minutes:

The Chairman advised Members that the following agenda item had been drawn down for debate:

 

9.         Dartford Housing Delivery & Five Year Supply 2017-2022

 

He also advised that he had granted permission for comment to be passed on the following items:

 

7.         Disabled Facilities Grants and Discretionary Assistance

 

11.      Street Naming and Numbering - Multiple Phases at the Eastern Quarry and Northfleet West Substation Developments

 

Accordingly, Members endorsed the Officer recommendations in respect of the following items:

 

8.         Draft Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) in Planning

 

10.      Parking Consultation: Brent, Heath and Princes Wards

 

12.      Capital Programme - Monitoring 2017/2018

 

13.      Revenue Budget Monitoring 2017/18

 

14.      Policy Overview Committee Annual Report 2016 - 2017

 

15.      Minutes of the Policy Overview Meeting held on 13 June 2017

5.

Declarations of Interest on Items Reserved for Debate Only

To receive declarations of interest from Members including the terms(s) of the Grant of Dispensation (if any) by the Audit Board or Managing Director.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

6.

References from Committees

None at this stage.

Minutes:

There were no references from Committees.

SD (ES)

7.

Disabled Facilities Grants and Discretionary Assistance pdf icon PDF 84 KB

Summary:

 

1.             The Council’s current Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) Policy was adopted in March 2016.  The Policy sets out the mandatory grants process to provide specialist adaptations to qualifying households in the borough.

 

2.             This report outlines the Council’s DFG expenditure and works undertaken under the widened use of the recent Better Care Fund (BCF) allocation. The transfer of funding from the Department of Communities and Local Government to the BCF was noted by Cabinet on 22 January 2015 (Minute Number 99 refers). This report also sets out proposals for use of additional monies provided from the BCF; including a proposed addendum to the current DFG Policy for the provision of discretionary assistance.

 

Recommendations:

 

1.             That Cabinet note the enhancements made to the Council’s disabled facilities grant work since the introduction of the BCF.

 

2.             That Cabinet approve the proposals to include discretionary assistance, as outlined in the Addendum to the Council’s current DFG Policy, attached at Appendix A.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Council’s current Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) Policy was adopted in March 2016.  This Policy set out the mandatory grants process to provide specialist adaptations to qualifying households in the Borough. This report outlined the Council’s DFG expenditure and works undertaken under the widened use of the recent Better Care Fund (BCF) allocation. It also set out proposals for the use of additional monies provided from the BCF and included a proposed addendum to the current DFG Policy for the provision of discretionary assistance.

 

  • Members expressed support for the actions that were being taken to address the historical underspend in this area but asked that no cases with a statutory need be passed by.

 

  • During discussion it was noted that the past underspend had been caused by Occupational Therapist resourcing issues and that fact that their recommendations are required before spending on adaptations can be progressed.

 

  • Members also asked if they could be used to help promote the new arrangement, such as the availability of a handyperson, to ensure that the service is fully utilised.

 

  • The Advisory Panel endorsed the report’s recommendations.

SD (ES)

8.

Draft Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) in Planning pdf icon PDF 88 KB

Summary:

 

1.         A revised Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) in planning has been drafted for the Borough. 

 

2.         The SCI outlines principles that will guide local public engagement in planning policy and development management; and adherence to its provisions will be verified when Local Plans are subject to independent examination.

 

Recommendations:

 

1.         That approval be granted for the draft Statement of Community Involvement at The Appendix to the report, be subject to further public consultation, and that the issues that arise from the consultation and a proposed final Statement of Community Involvement be reported back to Cabinet.

 

2.         That the Head of Regeneration be granted delegated authority to make any minor, factual or presentational changes to the draft Statement of Community Involvement for the purposes of consultation.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members endorsed the recommendations in the report.

SD (ES)

9.

Dartford Housing Delivery & Five Year Supply 2017-2022 pdf icon PDF 70 KB

Summary:

 

1.         This report provides an update of total projected housing supply for 2016/17 and next five years.

 

2.         The Council’s Five Year Housing Land Supply (2017) is detailed in the Appendix to the report. It is a stipulation of the National Planning Policy Framework that details regarding land supplies, should be updated and published annually.

 

3.         Identification of a five year land supply has major implications for the ability of the Council to determine planning applications.

 

Recommendation:

 

That the Council’s Five Year Housing Land Supply for 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2022 (Appendix to the report) be noted and agreed for publication.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

This report provided an update to the total projected housing supply for 2016/17 and next five years. The Council’s Five Year Housing Land Supply (2017) was detailed in the Appendix to the report and it is a stipulation of the National Planning Policy Framework that details relating to land supplies should be updated and published annually.

 

  • The Planning Policy Manager highlighted the delivery totals that were being achieved and the fact that dwellings were being delivered as planned. He also noted how development was progressing on sites that had been identified in the Local Plan and that the majority were being built on brownfield land. He said that the document was important because it helped ensure that planning decisions made based on Dartford’s Local Plan were less likely to be overturned on appeal. He also noted how the Land Supply document identified areas for future development and said that two thirds of the total area had already been granted planning permission or was under construction.

 

  • Members noted how future development was focused in the north of the Borough with only 200 homes forecast for the area to the south of the A2 and the Planning Policy Manager confirmed that this was as had been defined in the approved Core Strategy Local Plan. Members then referred to the fact that the Core Strategy had been produced in 2011 and, given the infrastructural issues being experienced, it was suggested that it should be reviewed and updated to consider development options in the 10 to 20 year timeframe. The Planning Policy Manager said that following the recent approval of the second part of the Local Plan, which allowed it to be used with full legal force when assessing planning applications, a review of the Core Strategy would be carried out. He did however also note that they were still awaiting detailed Government guidance following the consultation that had been carried out on its housing White Paper and said that the scope of any associated recommendations could influence future development plans.

 

  • The Planning Policy Manager then noted that there was a need to protect areas identified as Green Belt and said that this meant that development distribution ended up being focused to the north of the Borough. Members unanimously expressed support for the protection of Green Belt land.

 

  • The Planning Policy Manager also noted how the development distribution was delivering improvements to the Borough by encouraging the regeneration and re-use of vacant brownfield sites. Members agreed that such sites should be considered for development first and noted the problems that would be experienced on the road network in the south if additional development took place in this area. They also recognised how other options would eventually have to be considered as the availability of brownfield land reduced.

 

  • With respect to the supporting infrastructure the Planning Policy Manager noted how major health facilities and services such as secondary schools were mainly located around the Town Centre and to the north of the Borough, which meant  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

SD (ES)

10.

Parking Consultation: Brent, Heath and Princes Wards pdf icon PDF 69 KB

Summary:

 

1.         Some of the residents of Brent, Heath and Princes wards reported numerous and increasing parking related issues. The Council has undertaken a number of consultations on proposals for managing the reported issues.

 

2.         This report summarises the results of the consultation undertaken from 30th March to 27th April 2017.

 

Recommendations:

 

1.         That the making of the traffic regulation order in accordance with paragraph 3.7 of the report and the implementation of the schemes, be approved.

 

2.         That households within the consultation areas be informed of the consultation outcome and the applicable installations, subject to the traffic regulation order making process.

Minutes:

Members endorsed the recommendations in the report.

11.

Street Naming and Numbering - Multiple Phases at the Eastern Quarry and Northfleet West Substation Developments pdf icon PDF 54 KB

Summary:

 

To approve 16 new roads names for use over multiple phases of development at Eastern Quarry and the Northfleet West Sub Station.

 

Recommendation:

 

            That Cabinet approve the following 16 names:

 

Croucher       Eyres              Hoadley         Ovens

Danzey          Farmer           Humble          Raven

Day                 Freeman        Mason            Simmons

Embleton       Giles               Outred            Tickner

Minutes:

This report asked Members to approve 16 new roads names for use over multiple phases of development planned for the Eastern Quarry and Northfleet West Substation sites.

 

  • Members noted the Government guidance which stated that streets should not be named after people but felt that it was right that war veterans should be honoured in this way.

 

  • It was also suggested that consideration should be given to the naming of streets after ex-Councillors who have passed away to recognise the contributions that they had made to the Borough and its community. During further discussion it was stressed that this should always be considered carefully and only be done with the family’s approval.

 

  • The Advisory Panel endorsed the report’s recommendations.

SD (IS)

12.

Capital Programme - Monitoring 2017/2018 pdf icon PDF 64 KB

Summary

 

To inform Cabinet of the progress to date on the schemes in the approved Capital Programme, and to report the latest position on capital resources.

 

Recommendations:

 

1.         That Cabinet note the progress made to date on the 2017/18 Capital Programme.

 

2.         That Cabinet approve the recommended virement to the HRA schemes.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members endorsed the recommendations in the report.

SD (IS)

13.

Revenue Budget Monitoring 2017/18 pdf icon PDF 46 KB

Summary:

 

To update Members on financial performance against the 2017/18 budget to date for the General Fund and Housing Revenue Account.

 

Recommendation:

 

That Members note the attached monitoring update for the year to date.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members endorsed the recommendations in the report.

SD (IS)

14.

Policy Overview Committee Annual Report 2016 - 2017 pdf icon PDF 42 KB

Summary:

 

To consider the Annual Report of the Policy Overview Committee for the 2016 - 2017 municipal year.

 

Recommendation:

 

That the Annual Report of the Policy Overview Committee be noted.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members endorsed the recommendations in the report.

SD (IS)

15.

Minutes of the Policy Overview Meeting held on 13 June 2017 pdf icon PDF 42 KB

Summary:

 

To present to Cabinet the minutes of the meeting of the Policy Overview Committee held on 13 June 2017.

 

Recommendation:

 

That the minutes of the meeting of the Policy Overview Committee held on 13 June 2017, be considered and noted.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members endorsed the recommendations in the report.